FreeBSD 6.3 gre and traceroute

Stephen Clark sclark46 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 14 10:37:03 PST 2008

Julian Elischer wrote:

>>> Also just using gre's without the underlying ipsec tunnels seems to
>>> work properly.
>

> This is the crux of the matter.
> IPSEC happens INSIDE the IP stack. The IP stack is responsible for
> the ICMP generation so it is much more likely that there is an
> interaction there.
>
> Now is there an IPSEC rule to make sure that the ICMP packet can get
> back?  It could b ehtat in teh IP stack there is some confusion as to
> whether the return packet should be encrypted or not and it might get
> dropped.
>
> the code involved is in /sys/netinet and /sys/netipsec but you'll
> probably regret looking in there ;-)
>

>> Another data point I had been using option FILTER_GIF I tried a kernel
>> without that option and it behaved the same.
>>
>> Steve

I agree I put a diag in ip_input.c

		if (ip->ip_ttl <= IPTTLDEC) {
			icmp_error(m, ICMP_TIMXCEED, ICMP_TIMXCEED_INTRANS,
			    0, 0);
			return;
and sure enough it is calling icmp_error, but I think it can't figure out
how to route the packet back. I been looking at my SPD to see if I can make some
adjustment to the policy that would help.
--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)