System deadlock when using mksnap_ffs

Tim Bishop tim-lists at bishnet.net
Wed Nov 12 09:58:37 PST 2008

I've been playing around with snapshots lately but I've got a problem on
one of my servers running 7-STABLE amd64:

FreeBSD paladin 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #8: Mon Nov 10 20:49:51 GMT 2008 tdb at paladin:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PALADIN  amd64

I run the mksnap_ffs command to take the snapshot and some time later
the system completely freezes up:

paladin# cd /u2/.snap/
paladin# mksnap_ffs /u2 test.1

It only happens on this one filesystem, though, which might be to do
with its size. It's not over the 2TB marker, but it's pretty close. It's
also backed by a hardware RAID system, although a smaller filesystem on
the same RAID has no issues.

Filesystem  1K-blocks       Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da0s1a 2078881084 921821396 990749202    48%    /u2

To clarify "completely freezes up": unresponsive to all services over
the network, except ping. On the console I can switch between the ttys,
but none of them respond. The only way out is to hit the reset button.

Any advice? I'm happy to help debug this further to get to the bottom of
it.

Thanks,

Tim.

--