du and df don't agree

Marian Hettwer mh at kernel32.de
Tue Nov 11 03:56:33 PST 2008

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:55:30 +0100, Ruben de Groot <mail25 at bzerk.org>
wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:22:42AM +0100, Willem Jan Withagen typed:
>> Ruben de Groot wrote:
>> >On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:21:11PM +0700, Eugene Grosbein typed:

>> >Please don't advise people to install third party apps (lsof) where
>> >base system tools (fstat) can do the job.
>>
>> Why not?
>
> Because it gives the impression the base system is incomplete, which it
is
> not,
> at least not in this situation. The wording "you need lsof" is plain
> wrong.

What about proposing both? As in use fstat from BASE or use lsof from
ports.
IMO it's good to know that there are several tools which solves your
problem.
As an example from real world. I love using "sockstat -4" on FreeBSD, but
I'm annoyed that it doesn't exist in OpenBSD and it doesn't exist in Debian
either.
So I'm used to use "netstat -tulpen" on Debian, but that won't work on
FreeBSD.
Anyway, since I know both ways, I find my way in both systems.

./Marian