du and df don't agree

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Tue Nov 11 01:22:48 PST 2008

Ruben de Groot wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:21:11PM +0700, Eugene Grosbein typed:
>> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:01:00AM -0500, Stephen Clark wrote:
>>
>>> Why would du show 630k used by /tmp while df show 161M used
>>> by /tmp?
>>>
>>> I have run fstat /tmp and can't find any files that are using
>>> the space that df is claiming as being used.
>> You need lsof +aL1 /tmp to see an answer.
>
> Please don't advise people to install third party apps (lsof) where
> base system tools (fstat) can do the job.

Why not?

This is one of the ways I pick up on all kinds of nice tools I've not heard of
before. And it is not like this is swamping the list with of topic questions.
You might have redirected the question to questions@

OTOH:
The initial question indicated that fstat did not give the info wanted.
Your info does not help, because you told him to use fstat, but forgot to
mention HOW. So he is in no way any wiser after your answer.

--WjW