Interrupt routing issues in FreeBSD 7.1-BETA2

Victor Balada Diaz victor at bsdes.net
Mon Nov 10 04:45:56 PST 2008

Hello,

last month i reported a problem with interrupt storms in re(4). You
can find that report here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-October/046075.html

After that, i filled a bug report:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/128287

Remko Lodder (CC'ed) suggested me that i should disable USB code
in kernel if i was not using it. As i wasn't using it, i tried
disabling it and so far, the problem was solved.

After a few days in production with the new kernel, GENERIC
without USB and firewrire i've found other interrupt problems:

vmstat -i:
oro# vmstat -i
interrupt                          total       rate
irq1: atkbd0                           2          0
irq9: acpi0                            1          0
irq19: re0                      39786514         42
irq22: atapci0                8050818241       8515
cpu0: timer                   1890881479       1999
cpu1: timer                   1890881390       1999
Total                        11872367627      12557

This time the problem is not in IRQ19 (re), but on IRQ 22
atapci0. This looked weird to me, as this interrupt is not
shared, so i searched what was the model and MFG of this
motherboard and found with dmidecode this:

Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERANTIONAL CO.,LTD
        Product Name: MS-7368
        Version: 1.0

Looking at freebsd archives for this model i've found
other people had the same problem:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-November/080525.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-June/176794.html

Related problems:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-November/038571.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2008-February/083584.html

Does anyone know what could be the cause of this or how can i fix it?

If there is any more information i could provide to help solving this,
just ask for it and i'll do my best to get it.

Thanks in advance.
Regards.
--
La prueba más fehaciente de que existe vida inteligente en otros
planetas, es que no han intentado contactar con nosotros.