6.4-RC2 crashes after a few minutes of uptime

Rory Arms rorya+freebsd.org at TrueStep.com
Fri Nov 7 14:07:40 PST 2008

On 2008-11-07, at 12:17 , Ken Smith wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 00:00 -0500, Rory Arms wrote:
>> Well, if I can assist with further debugging, let me know.
>
> The person who followed up with a list of things that *may* have made
> the problem go away mentioned one of the things was disabling powerd.
> Do you have that enable, and if yes would you mind disabling it to see
> if that's the culprit?

Hi Ken,

No, it's not running powerd. Looking at the process list, it looks
like GNOME has some power related processes, but I assume that's
different. I don't think I'd ever even heard of powerd till now, and
have now read the manual to learn about it. Well, I wonder if the
panic I had yesterday a few minutes after booting RC2 was a fluke. The
computer has been running so far without problems, using GNOME, on
that second RC2 bootup, for almost 24 hours now.

However, I still find it concerning that kgdb(1) on 6.4, hasn't been
able to open any of the core dump though. If this is broken, it will
be difficult to provide bug reports. I wonder if it's just something
about this particular code path to panic, that's generating this, I
guess, corrupt core file. Is there a key sequence, or sysctl knob
perhaps, that I can use to force an artificial panic to see if the
coredump generated is any different?

- rory