firewire disk disconnected but da* remains?

Gavin Atkinson gavin at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 7 07:42:17 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 13:37 +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> I am a firewire newbie, so forgive me the following question.
> I disconnect external firewire HDD, firewire subsystem notices this but
> da0 device entry persists. Is this correct/expected behavior?

Yes.  From sbp(4):

 Some users familiar with umass(4) might wonder why the device is not
 detached at the CAM layer when the device is unplugged.  It is detached
 only if the device has not been plugged again during several bus resets.
 This is for preventing to detach an active file system even when the
 device cannot be probed correctly for some reason after a bus reset or
 when the device is temporary disconnected because the user changes the
 bus topology.  If you want to force to detach the device, run ``fwcontrol
 -r'' several times or set hw.firewire.hold_count=0 by sysctl(1).

Gavin