6.4 RC1 locks up solid on first reboot

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Wed Nov 5 15:41:17 PST 2008

On Oct 27, 2008, at 8:51 AM, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Friday 24 October 2008 02:48:13 pm Jo Rhett wrote:
>> So I booted up by CD and used Fixit mode to switch the system to boot
>> via serial (keyboard detached), but this gathered me even less.
>>
>> /boot.config: -Dh
>> Consoles: internal video/keyboard  serial port
>> BIOS drive A: is disk0
>> BIOS drive C: is disk1
>> BIOS drive D: is disk2
>> BIOS 639kB/4062144kB available memory
>>
>> FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
>> (root at dessler.cse.b
>>
>> Plugging back in the monitor after lockup showed only a single char
>> more:
>> (root at dessler.cse.bu
>
> This confirms it is hanging in one of the two BIOS routines to
> output a
> character.  One thing you can do would be to boot up and do the
> following:
>
> dd if=/dev/mem bs=0x400 count=1 of=idt.out
> dd if=/dev/mem bs=64k iseek=15 count=1 of=bios.out
>
> Then place those files some place I can fetch them.

Both files are at http://support.netconsonance.com/freebsd/

FYI, this is notable -- the keyboard does not respond at the boot
prompt.  I mean the menu where you can escape to the loader prompt,
with the fat freebsd ascii art.  No keyboard presses are observed
here.  This is also true for the boot menu on the 6.4 installation CD
too.

No problems with 6.2 or 6.3

--
Jo Rhett