ukbd in kernel and in loader.conf: lockup?

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Wed Nov 5 01:29:03 PST 2008

I observe the symptoms that are the same as described here only with
7-BETA2 (amd64):
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2006-March/015736.html

If ukbd is both in kernel and is loaded via module then kernel boot
locks up.

I have a custom kernel without USB in it (everything is loaded through
modules), but sometimes I need to boot GENERIC. So the issue occurs with
GENERIC.

Unfortunately, loader.conf is not per kernel (and I haven't heard about
kernel conditionals in it).

Does anybody have any insights on this?
In the referred thread John Baldwin mentioned some "edge cases", but
nothing concrete.
I think that such behavior is not satisfactory. I am willing to help
with researching this, but I need some starting pointers.
Unfortunately, no serial console.

P.S.
This is legacy-free machine, no PS/2 port (but I am not sure about
actual keyboard controller in hardware).
BIOS has "USB Legacy" enabled.
GENERIC, obviously, has atkbd and kbdmux in it.

--
Andriy Gapon