DL360 G3 w/ AMD64 Cant boot from CD

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 4 04:48:55 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 07:37:01AM -0500, Kevin wrote:
> > Can you please try 7.1-PRERELEASE or 6.4-RC2 (just announced today)?
> > There have been bootstrap-related changes since 7.0-RELEASE which may
> > fix your problem.
>

> I tried 7.1-BETA2 , but unfortunately the same problem happened. I tried
> (for the sake of argument) Debian debian-40r5-amd64 , and it wouldn't boot
> either -- it said "Your CPU does not support long mode, please use a 32bit
> distribution".

This means your processor does not support 64-bit mode.

> How would I support over 4GB of ram with only i386 distributions?

There is only one option: use PAE mode, which has drawbacks.  You can
read about what PAE is on Wikipedia.

Note that not all drivers are PAE mode compatible on FreeBSD.  You
should be able to install i386 FreeBSD with success, then rebuild your
kernel with PAE enabled.  Look at /sys/i386/conf/PAE for an example
configuration -- you'll see all of the drivers you have to disable for
PAE to work successfully.  If your system uses any of these drivers, PAE
mode will not work for you, in which case you should upgrade your
hardware.