RELENG_7 amd64; memory and vm.kmem_size

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri May 30 11:50:34 UTC 2008

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
 > [...]
 > vm.kmem_size="3584M"
 > vm.kmem_size_max="3584M"
 >
 > Upon reboot, the kernel immediately panic'd with the following message:
 >
 > kmem_suballoc(): bad status return of 3.
 >
 > I then chose smaller values (going with 2048M); same panic.

I remember someone on the -fs list explained that there's
currently a hard limit for kmem at 2 GB minus epsilon.
So I suggest trying to set it to slightly less than 2 GB.

And yes, I agree that is unfortunate, because there are
high ZFS workloads where more than 2 GB kmem would be
useful.  I hope this design limitation can be alleviated
somehow in the future.

Best regards
   Oliver

"The last good thing written in C was