Sockets stuck in FIN_WAIT_1

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri May 30 00:55:48 UTC 2008

:This is exactly what we're seeing, it's VERY strange.  I did kill off
:Apache, and all the FIN_WAIT_1's stuck around, so the kernel is in
:fact sending these probe packets, every 60 seconds, which the client
:responds to... (most of the time).

    Ach.  Now that I think about it, it is still possible for it to
    happen that way.  Apache closed the connection while there was
    still data in the scoket buffer to the client.  The client then
    refused to read it, but otherwise left the connection alive.

    It's got to a be a bug on the client(s) in question.  I can't think
    of anything else.   You may have to resort to injecting a TCP RST
    packet (e.g. via a TUN device) to clear the connections.

						-Matt