Sockets stuck in FIN_WAIT_1

Robert Blayzor rblayzor.bulk at inoc.net
Thu May 29 19:19:33 UTC 2008

On May 29, 2008, at 3:12 PM, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>    I guess nobody mentioned the obvious thing to check:  Make sure
>    TCP keepalive is turned on.
>
>    sysctl net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive=1

Thanks Matt.

I also thought that a keepalives were not running and sessions just
stuck around forever, however I do have:

net.inet.tcp.keepidle=900000
net.inet.tcp.keepintvl=30000
net.inet.tcp.msl=5000
net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive=1  (default)

I believe keep idle was defaulted to 2hrs, I changed it to 15 minutes
with a 30 second tick... I still found FIN_WAIT_1 sessions stuck for
several hours, if not infinite.

Nonet he less, I have a new server up running 7.0-p1, I'll be pumping
a lot of traffic to that box soon and I'll see how that makes out.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC
rblayzor at inoc.net