Sockets stuck in FIN_WAIT_1

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 29 13:25:44 UTC 2008

Robert Blayzor wrote:
> On May 29, 2008, at 8:44 AM, Stephen Clark wrote:
>> You know it really pains me when people blithely say just upgrade to
>> X.X where X is the latest release.

In my first message I did not say it "blithely," I actually said
something like "begin looking at 7.0 ASAP." However, when you're dealing
with free software "upgrade then try again" Is generally a reasonable
request since it's extremely common for bugs to be fixed as a side
effect of other updates, and you're dealing with busy people who are
volunteering their time and expect you to put in your share of the work.
If that cost is too high for you, no worries. But if you're going to use
free software you need to understand that it IS a cost (sometimes).

It's probably also worthwhile at this point to insert a PSA for more
regular, incremental updates instead of just letting things bitrot
because they work today, but I digress.

>> It is generally just not that simple to upgrade - there are all sorts
>> of dependencies with other software that have to be considered.
>

> I don't mind upgrading this box, it does need it, and it's just a web
> server.  But I see your point.
>
> What bothers me is that suggesting an upgrade "may" fix the problem.  I
> really want to know that upgrading WILL fix the problem.

Sorry if I wasn't sufficiently clear. I am pretty sure upgrading _will_
fix the problem. Note the message from Jeremy on this point.

However, there is a bigger issue that y'all keep wanting to ignore.
FREEBSD 4 IS PAST END OF LIFE. You're incredibly unlikely to get someone
interested in helping you with this problem since everyone knowledgeable
enough to help you will tell you first to upgrade, since a lot of stuff
in the network stack has improved. Also, even if you did find someone
willing to help you, any time that you spent on a fix for the problem
will be irrelevant, since no one but you will care. So, I'm asking you
to spend your time and resources on the solution that is going to help
you the most in the long run.

Best of luck,

Doug