Sockets stuck in FIN_WAIT_1

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 29 06:07:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 06:13:04PM -0400, Robert Blayzor wrote:
> Here is what I have on the server now:
>
> and loader.conf
>
> accf_http_load="YES"

You shouldn't bother with this.  Let the apache22 rc.d script handle
rc.conf.

I've read reports in the past how the accept filter can cause FIN_WAIT
issues, but I can't remember if that's FIN_WAIT_2 or FIN_WAIT_1.

I've also read that pf(4) could possibly cause what you're seeing, so if
you have broken firewall rules, those may be responsible for this
behaviour.

Finally, for what it's worth, we don't have this problem on RELENG_6 or
RELENG_7 using Apache 2.2 with the accept filter, and also use pf(4).
We use absolutely no tuning in sysctl.conf for any of the things you
have listed.