BTX loader hangs after version info

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 22 12:24:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 09:59:47AM +0100, James Seward wrote:
> Two days ago I csup'd my desktop at home, which was running RELENG_7
> from about 7.0-RELEASE time, to bring it up-to-date (still on
> RELENG_7). I followed my usual buildkernel/world procedure (the usual
> one) which has worked fine all the way since 5.x. After installing
> kernel and restarting in single user, it was working fine. However,
> following installworld it will not boot.
>
> It stops immediately after "BTX loader 1.00 BTX version 1.02", but
> with the cursor on the line *above* the first "B". Nothing futher
> happens, but the system responds to Ctrl-Alt-Del.

This sounds like a regression in the recent BTX fixes which were done by
John Baldwin on March 18th.  Strange, since those fixes addressed
booting issues lots of users were having with BTX.  See the very bottom
of the below page, "BTX crashes on start":

http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/Commonly_reported_issues

After installworld, did you happen to use bsdlabel -B?

> Any suggestions/advice for what I can try next, or what I can do to
> help the troubleshooting process?
>
> My desktop is an Athlon64 but I am using i386, on an Asus A8V-E Deluxe board.

I've CC'd John here, who might have some ideas.