ZFS on root and disk write caching.

Arnaud Houdelette arnaud.houdelette at tzim.net
Wed May 21 13:22:46 UTC 2008

I'm playing around with ZFS.

Currently, I just use it for storage, with a zpool of 4 sata disks.
The system and boot disk is still formatted with UFS.

As I'm quite pleased with ZFS features, I'd like to try ZFS on root. The
ZFS wiki is quite clear on how to proceed : if the boot and root are on
the same disk, you'll have to use bsd labels.

The thing is, I read somewhere that ZFS doesn't enable write caching on
drives if not used on whole disks.

1. Is it still true on freebsd or just for opensolaris.
2. As the only other(s) label(s) on disk would be the (readonly) boot
and swap label, I don't think write caching would be a problem. So how
can I tell ZFS it's ok to enable it on the disk (or enable it manualy if
necessary and of any use).
3. I'd like to keep the storage pool (zraid1) separated from the system
pool (just one disk). The wiki states that we may encounter problems
with more than one pool in use : is it still the case ?

I know the whole ZFS thing is still experimental, but with it's overall
performance, it would really be a shame not to give it its chance.

Thanks for your comments.

Arnaud Houdelette