Buildworld Fails RELENG_7

Dave Uhring duhring at charter.net
Tue May 20 13:31:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:54:59PM +0100, Doug Rabson wrote:

> On 20 May 2008, at 12:25, Dave Uhring wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 08:50:14AM +0100, Doug Rabson wrote:
>>>
>>> In this, your build is explicitly using '/usr/bin/gcc' for the build
>>> which
>>> is not the way buildworld normally works. In normal operation, buildworld
>>> first builds a compiler from source and then uses that compiler by adding
>>> to $PATH and building with just 'cc'. Are you overriding $CC in your
>>> environment?
>>
>> I did not even have $CC in my environment.  My environment had absolutely
>> nothing involving the compiler and the compiler was the one shipped with
>> FreeBSD-7.0-RELEASE.  It is the *only* compiler on the system.
>>

> Odd. Could you please send me the complete log of a failed build attempt.

I did not maintain such a log.  On that last build everything proceeded
normally until it broke in an inline assembler piece of code.  But I
published not only the error but also the previous 4 or 5 compile lines.

I'm building again with a virgin clean cvsupped source tree from
cvsup4.freebsd.org, a clean /usr/obj, and I have reverted to /bin/csh for
my root shell if that can possibly matter.  /etc/make.conf sets the build
shell as /bin/sh.

This time I started the build using script.  The entire log will be
available.