Buildworld Fails RELENG_7

Dave Uhring duhring at charter.net
Tue May 20 03:37:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:10:32PM -0400, Josh Carroll wrote:
> > No, even though it is a dual-core system.  I did not want to chance a
> > race condition.  I simply executed 'make buildworld' initially, then
> > 'make -DNO_CLEAN buildworld' when I encountered problems in the build.
>
> Ok, it was worth asking, just to rule out the obvious.
>
> I'm still not sure where your logic in using -DNOCLEAN comes in, for a
> failed build. I would expect that to continue to fail in most
> circumstances if it were already failing.

If you fix what caused the build to break and want to find any other
failure points there is little point in restarting the build from zero.

> So I think in one of your other mails you said you're installing
> something else now? Solaris? If so, this thread is moot, since you
> aren't running FreeBSD on the box anymore, and no one has been able to
> reproduce your problem. I think the most likely culprits have already
> been mentioned in the thread so far anyway.

I would still like to get FreeBSD on that server but with the latest
improvements to ZFS.  The release version is not going to do that for
me and the only way that I can get up-to-date binaries is to build a
new world and kernel.

I'll give it another days' try and if that still fails Solaris will stay
on the server.

This BTW is not my first time building world on FreeBSD.  I followed
STABLE from 3.4 through the end of RELENG_4 and I never had such problems
with a simple compile.