Buildworld Fails RELENG_7

Mike Edenfield kutulu at kutulu.org
Tue May 20 01:58:24 UTC 2008

Dave Uhring wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 02:01:48PM -1000, Clifton Royston wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 03:14:08PM -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:
>>
>>> The problem is that gcc is *not* finding the file in the directory
>>> referenced by the -I cflag.  If I copy the header files to the directory
>>> where the error occurs the header file is found and used to compile the
>>> source file.
>>>
>>   This starts to narrow down the problem you're having a bit, I think.
>>
>>   Given that this is different from the expected behavior and the
>> behavior others are seeing, this sounds to me like either 1) the wrong
>> compiler or version of the compiler is being found and used in place of
>> the desired gcc instance, or 2) something in your shell or environment
>> is somehow getting into the buildworld environment and causing make or
>> the inner shell to misparse the commandline to gcc.
>>

> The c compiler is the one shipped with 7.0 RELEASE.  Except for the 3
> new header files that I placed from cvsupped sources into /usr/include/sys
> the entire system is 7.0 RELEASE.
>
> Prior to beginning the build I deliberately set
>
> # export CFLAGS=""
>
> Nothing else in my environment would have affected the compiler

I suspect there is still *something* affecting your compiler, though
where from I couldn't even guess.  According to this message:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2007-04/msg00200.html

the most recent error you posted, from inside OpenSSL, only happens if
you compile the library at -O0, which is definitely not the default
behavior.  If you've already blown away your FreeBSD environment there's
obviously not much more you can do to track down the problem, but it
would be interesting to know what:

make -V CFLAGS

actually returned from within /usr/src.