geom_raid5 + FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE + 5x500Gb (1.8T UFS volume) -- crashes :(

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 19 19:59:01 UTC 2008

Hello, Arne.

  I try to build storage server for my home (I have a LOT of media
files) with FreeBSD 7, 5xHDD (WD 500Gb) and geom_raid5 ("simple"
version from perforce, beacuse
http://home.tiscali.de/cmdr_faako/geom_raid5.tbz is not patched for FreeBSD7).

 Array & FS were created with default arguments:

# graid5 label storage ad6 ad8 ad10 ad12 ad14
# newfs -O2 -U /dev/raid5/storage
# mount /dev/raid5/storage /usr/home/storage

 I use additional (sixth) HDD for system, labeled ins tandard way. So,
raid is used only for data, not for swap or booting.

 I've started from simple tests: building world with /usr/src on
system disk and obj (MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX) on RAID5.

  After first build I've run `rm -rf ${MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX}'. It
returns to shell pretty quickly, and to be sure, that FS is synced I've
tried `umount /usr/home/storage'. I've got DEVICE BUSY!
  I've called `df -h' and it shows, that I have NEGATIVE amount of
space on /usr/home/storage (about -14Mb of 1.8Tb). After calling
"sync && sync && sycn", umount finished without errors, but second
later system CRASHED with "ffs freed free frag".

  After reboot, RAID5 becomes REBUILDING HOT and system crashed again
when fsck start to checks filesystem on RAID :(

  And again :( So, I boot to single-user and remove auto-mount of RAID
volume...

  Manual run of fsck fails with "fsck_ufs: bad inode number 32360448
to nextinode"...

  Is it problem of UFS or graid5 or what?

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>