Buildworld Fails RELENG_7

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 19 18:00:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 10:06:19AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Give me a few hours (installing VMware + 7.0-RELEASE + csup).  My money
> is on that I won't be able to reproduce the problem.

Something I thought of while doing the above: there's been reports in
the past of problems with buildworld (or building software in general)
bombing out or behaving oddly due to clock issues on the local machine.
If you don't use ntpd, consider doing so.  Otherwise, at least use
ntpdate once to set your clock to something sane.

Anyway.

I've completed the above using VMware.  Installation was 7.0-RELEASE
i386.  fdisk and label were defaults, and for distributions I chose
base, kernels, dict, doc, games, info, man, and catman.  (I do not pick
src and ports because I don't care to deal with the "adoption" method.)
I also configured the network (nothing out of the ordinary; pure DHCP),
and the time zone (PDT).

Immediately after the system was up, I did the following:

# csup -h cvsup4.freebsd.org -g -L 2 -4 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile

This picked up src-all using the RELENG_7 tag.  I then attempted a
buildworld (cd /usr/src && time make -j2 buildworld).  It's just begun
stage 2.3, but so far no issues.  I'll report back in about 30 minutes
or so, when it has a chance to finish.