Suspend/resume on IBM X31

James Butler sweetnavelorange at gmail.com
Mon May 19 10:50:11 UTC 2008

Greetings

I am having trouble with suspend/resume on my Thinkpad X31, running
7.0-STABLE as of April 23. Any help would be appreciated.

First problem: When I run "acpiconf -s3" from mulituser mode, the
system suspends immediately, without executing /etc/rc.suspend (which
has mode 755); then on resume, I get a panic.

Second problem: When the system panics, I don't get a dump (or
textdump for that matter, when I turn them on); in the boot messages,
I see "kernel dumps on /dev/ad0s2b" and then later (from memory),
"Looking for core dumps on /dev/ad0s2b.... savecore: no dumps found"
or somesuch. I know from trying out textdumps that dumping works in
other circumstances.

These issues together make it hard to debug further, but I did a few
tests in single-user mode. First, with no services running, "acpiconf
-s3" seems to work OK (although /etc/rc.suspend is still not executed)
- I can suspend and resume and the machine keeps working. See:
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~sweetnavelorange/dmesg.1
for my dmesg after one successful cycle - there are a few warnings to
do with firewire. However if I start powerd before suspending, I get
the following extra kernel messages (hand transcribed):
acpi_ec0: warning: EC done before starting event wait
subdisk0: detached
ad0: detached
and any subsequent attempts to access the disk (eg. dmesg>/some/file,
kldstat) produce errors of the form:
g_vfs_done(): ad0s2e[READ(offset=8478572544, length=16384)] error=6
and eventually another panic.

Of course if /etc/rc.suspend worked, I could disable powerd before
suspending :-/. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them, and
I'll provide any more info that's needed. Other than this, I'm really
pleased with FreeBSD 7 - thanks all!

-James Butler