possible zfs bug? lost all pools

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Sun May 18 18:12:39 UTC 2008

On Sunday 18 May 2008 12:39:11 Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:20:33PM -0300, JoaoBR wrote:

> > > I think that the problem is related to the absence of a hostid when in
> > > single-user.  Try running '/etc/rc.d/hostid start' before mouning.
> >
> > well, obviously that came to my mind after seeing the msg ...
> >
> > anyway the pools should not vanish don't you agree?
> >
> > and if necessary /etc/rc.d/zfs should start hostid or at least set
> > REQUIRE different and warn
>
> I've been in the same boat you are, and I was told the same thing.  I've
> documented the situation on my Wiki, and the necessary workarounds.
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/Commonly_reported_issues

nice work this page, thanks

> This sort of thing needs to get hammered out before ZFS can be
> considered "usable" from a system administration perspective.  Expecting
> people to remember to run an rc.d startup script before they can use any
> of their filesystems borders on unrealistic.

yes but on the other side we know it is new stuff and sometimes the price is
what happens to me this morning but then it also helps to make things better

anyway, a little fix to rc.d/zfs like

if [ ! "`sysctl -n kern.hostiid 2>/dev/null`" ]; then echo "zfs needs hostid
first"; exit 0; fi

or something as precmd or first in zfs_start_main should fix this issue

talking about there are more things, I experienced still not working

swapon|off from rc.d/zfs script does not work either

not sure what it is because same part of script run as root works, adding a
dash to #!/bin/sh does not help either, from rc.d/zfs the state returns a
dash

do not see sense in rc.d/zfs `zfs share` since it is the default when sharenfs
property is enabled

man page tipo tells swap -a ... not swapon -a

subcommands volini and volfini not in manual at all

man page thar zfs can not be a dump device, not sure if I understand it as
meant but I can dump to zfs very well and fast as long as recordsize=128

but at the end, for the short time zfs is there it gives me respectable
performance results and it is stable for me as well

--

João