udf

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Fri May 16 16:48:11 UTC 2008

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 07:08:11PM +0300, Stefan Lambrev wrote:
>> From man mount_udf (FreeBSD7)
>>
>> HISTORY
>>     The mount_udf utility first appeared in FreeBSD 5.0.
>>
>> FreeBSD 7.0                     March 23, 2002                     FreeBSD
>> 7.0
>>
>> I have no idea for newfs_udf , and what is supposed this to do :)
>
> It creates a UDF (commonly DVD/DVD Audio) filesystem.  NetBSD and
> Solaris 10 both have this.

There is no write support in UDF in FreeBSD.  When I wrote the fs code,
packet writing was the only way to do discrete writes, and it's very
hard to make that work with a traditional VM system.  Now with DVD+R,
it's probably worth someone's time to look at it (though the append-only
nature of +R means that there are still some nasty VM complications to
deal with).  Until that happens, mkisofs can be used to create a static
UDF filesystem.

Scott