g_vfs_done error third part--PLEASE HELP!

Willy Offermans Willy at Offermans.Rompen.nl
Fri May 16 15:35:34 UTC 2008

Hello Jeremy and FreeBSD friends,

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 05:27:59AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 02:14:14PM +0200, Willy Offermans wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:10:47PM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> > > Did you notice any file corruption in the filesystem on ar0s1g?
> >
> > No the two disks are brand new and I did not encounter any noticeable
> > file corruption. However I assume that nowadays bad sectors on HD are
> > handled by the hardware and do not need any user interaction to correct
> > this. But maybe I'm totally wrong.
>
> You're right, but it depends on the type of disk.  SCSI disks will
> report bad blocks to the OS regardless if it is about to mark the block
> as a grown defect or not.  PATA and SATA disks, on the other hand, will
> report bad blocks to the OS only if the internal bad block list (which
> it manages itself -- this is what you're thinking of) is full.
>
> There are still many conditions where PATA and SATA disks can induce
> errors in the OS.  If the disk is attempting to work around a bad block,
> and there's a physical error (servo problem, head crash, repetitive
> re-reads of the block due to dust, whatever -- something that "ties up"
> the disk for long periods of time), ATA subsystem timeouts may be seen,
> DMA errors, or whatever else.  SMART stats will show this kind of
> problem.
>
> > > Unmount the filesystem and run fsck(8) on it. Does it report any errors?
> >
> > sun# fsck /dev/ar0s1g
> > ** /dev/ar0s1g
> > ** Last Mounted on /share
> > ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> > INCORRECT BLOCK COUNT I=34788357 (272 should be 264)
> > CORRECT? [yn] y
> >
> > INCORRECT BLOCK COUNT I=34789217 (296 should be 288)
> > CORRECT? [yn] y
> >
> > ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
> > ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
> > ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
> > ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
> > FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
> > SALVAGE? [yn] y
> >
> > SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD
> > SALVAGE? [yn] y
> >
> > BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS
> > SALVAGE? [yn] y
> >
> > 182863 files, 17282440 used, 120206472 free (12448 frags, 15024253
> > blocks, 0.0% fragmentation)
> >
> > ***** FILE SYSTEM MARKED CLEAN *****
> >
> > ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
> >
> > The usual stuff I would say.
>
> How is this usual?.  It appears to me you did have some filesystem
> corruption.

What kind of filesystem corruption and how to solve that?

I see these messages frequently if a FreeBSD machine unexpectedly reboots. Not only on this
system but also on others. I never worried about it.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Willy