today's build is causing errors for me

Rob Lytle jan6146 at gmail.com
Fri May 16 00:12:37 UTC 2008

First I am running 7.0-Stable and just cvsup'd today.  Then I built the
system, new kernel, and installed them.  Second I am using the GENERIC
KERNEL.  Sysctl.conf is empty.  I will put my /etc/rc.conf at the end.  I
tried to do a very careful job of merging /usr/src/etc with /etc.  I didn't
touch any files that I or the computer configured.

But I am getting these errors upon bootup:

1.  eval: /etc/rc.d/cleanvar: Permission Denied
2.  syslogd: bind: Can't assign requested address.  (repeated twice)
3.  syslogd: child pid 134 exited with return code 1
4.  /etc/rc:  Warning:  Dump device does not exist.  Savecore will not
run.   (this always worked before)
5.  /etc/rc.d/securelevel:  /etc/rc.d/sysctl:  Permission denied.
6.  My computer says "Amnesiac" yet the host name is clearly in rc.conf
7.  My WiFi no longer starts up by myself.  I have to do it all manually
using ifconfig and dhclient.

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm kind of lost as some of it makes no
sense to me, esp #6 and 7.
Has the default rc.conf format changed???

Thanks,

Sincerely,  Rob

My rc.conf file

# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Sun Oct 28 11:36:26 2007
# Created: Sun Oct 28 11:36:26 2007
# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
# Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
hostname="xenon"   # "" for DHCP
linux_enable="YES"
#moused_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"
lpd_enable="YES"
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
dumpdev="AUTO"
dumpdir="/var/crash"
cron_enable="YES"
performance_cx_lowest="LOW"
performance_cpu_freq="HIGH"
economy_cx_lowest="LOW"
economy_cpu_freq="LOW"
ipfilter_enable="YES"
ipfilter_rules="/etc/ipfw.rules"
ipmon_enable="YES"
ipmon_flags="-Ds"
watchdogd_enable="YES"
powerd_enable="YES"
mixer_enable="YES"

#ifconfig_ath0="WPA DHCP channel 3"
#ifconfig_msk0="DHCP"
ifconfig_ath0="DHCP ssid leighmorlock channel 6"
# added by mergebase.sh
local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d"