ATA APM and NCQ support in FreeBSD atacontrol

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Mon May 12 08:16:05 UTC 2008

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> I am too, but PRs that are 2 years old which include patches for severe
> bugs that affect reliability of RAID is (in my opinion) not acceptable.
> I've been spanked over saying this before ("you don't understand how
> open source works"), but necessity easily supercedes idealism.
>
> Linux's libata has evolved very quickly and very well, and has multiple
> eyes familiar with the code (in the case the author takes vacation,
> etc.).  It has the upper hand here.

Linux has more eyes period, which helps a lot. In addition Linux has
more commercial sponsorship - having said that, I've no idea if libdata
development has had any such  sponsorship...

However. I do agree that we (that is FreeBSD) need more folks brave
enough to help Soren out with the (S)ATA layer - that means people like
you or me deciding to get our hands dirty with this code...

best wishes

Mark