MFC Candidate: convert ffs_softdep.c over to callout(9)

Ilya Bakulin webmaster at kibab.com
Tue May 6 10:25:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:17:47 -0400
Coleman Kane <cokane at cokane.org> wrote:

> Ilya,
>
> Yes just go ahead and apply the patch that was attached. Then rebuild
> your kernel. Make sure that your softupdates are enabled on the UFS
> partition(s).
>
> Then try hammering it with some sort of file test on that partition
> (e.g. unpack a somewhat large source tarball and try building it).
>
> The kernel did build fine for me when I built it. Unfortunately, due to
> my hardware, RELENG_7 doesn't "just work" for me from vanilla sources,
> so I'd like to see some testers on better "supported" hardware.
>
> --
> Coleman Kane

So, everything is working pretty good. Kernel build succeeded today on machine running patched version of ffs_softdep and GENERIC kernel.
kibab at media%uname -a
FreeBSD media.home 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #0: Tue May  6 10:56:39 MSD 2008     root at kibab-main.home:/usr/_OBJDIR/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

kibab at media%mount
/dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/ad0s1d on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1f on /usr (ufs, NFS exported, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)