FreeBSD freezing at random

Marcin Cieslak saper at system.pl
Mon Mar 31 11:43:13 PDT 2008

Mikkel Skærris wrote:
> My system is a IBM T40 laptop, and i has been running FreeBSD for more
> than two years without ANY problems at all. But a couple of days ago
> my 7.0 intallation began freezing at random, without any log messages
> or anything. Same thing happens on a fresh installation of 6.3. Often
> the screen flickers, and blacks out, as if the screen conection was
> loose or something, but it isnt. And I cant seem to pinpoint the
> problem, to any certain area. Though the windows installtion (dual
> boot) works completely fine.

Did you upgrade anything? The base system, X server and/or drivers?

I have upgraded my VAIO SZ5MN recently from 7.0-PRERELEASE to 7.0-STABLE
 around 24th of March and it started to show strange symptoms during
work in X11 (usually with the seamonkey browser).

The "human interface" got frozen and the only thing that worked was the
power-off button (then the machine started to power down orderly,
showing strange things on display sometimes).

I was thinking this was some ACPI issue but then I figured out that the
system was ok when using Intel video card (instead of NVidia - this
system has two cards switchable).

I have upgraded xorg-server, nvidia and intel drivers to the latest
and now it works fine.

--Marcin