Missing manual pages (e.g. aio_fsync)

Bruce M. Simpson bms at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 30 03:27:36 PDT 2008

Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It seems that the manual page of aio_fsync is missing, at least in
> FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE. I have some questions regarding this:
>
> 1. Is there somebody working on a man page for aio_fsync?
>
> 2. Is there a list of missing manual pages?
>
> 3. What is the current status of POSIX and  Unix Specification? Is
> there any agreement with IEEE or Open Group allowing to cut-and-paste
> from, say, http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/aio_fsync.html?

The way open source usually works is, it takes longer for someone to
write these questions and wait for a response, than it does to just get
your sleeves rolled up and run in, guns blazing, and write the man page.

Of course then it's easy to waste time doing something someone already
did, but that way you get experience doing it, that is after all how
open source works.

They ain't exactly difficult to write. Doesn't really matter what you
do, as long as you do something.... and I myself do well to remember the
How It Works(tm) formula from time to time.

I believe there is such an agreement but you need to check with others
or use the handy CVSweb commit history(tm) for other pages e.g.
clock_gettime to check what you can and cannot lift.

cheers
BMS