gjournal....

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Sun Mar 30 02:06:18 PDT 2008

* Karl Denninger <karl at denninger.net> [080329 20:10] wrote:
> Hi folks;
>
> Wondering about the various pros and cons of using the "gjournal" GEOM
> provider... and if you can "promote" and existing system using it, or
> whether you need to build something anew.
>
> The scenario is a fairly busy and large system with PostgreSQL database data
> on it.  The data is currently on a 2-disk gmirror pair to provide data
> safety in the event of a disk failure.
>
> I am using softupdates right now.
>
> If I'm reading the docs correctly, I can't put gjournal in use on the
> existing filesystem, and need to effectively build a new disk structure then
> copy over the data onto it.
>
> Can you boot from a gjournal'd root?
>
> Ideas please, pros and cons of the various alternatives, etc..... thanks!

If you're using a database then it shouldn't matter what meta data
provider you use "all that much" with the exception of temporary
tables.

Basically, SU and gjournal both provide for meta data consistency,
something that a database rarely needs as it rarely creates/deletes
files often.

--
- Alfred Perlstein