Question about file system checks

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Thu Mar 27 16:53:20 PDT 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008 14:45:49 Marian Hettwer wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:39:55 +0000, Matthew Seaman
>
> <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Jared Carlson wrote:
> >> Hi I have a question about startup scripts for BSD distributions.
> >> Can you turn off the file system check that occurs every 30 boots,
> >> etc?  I recall this being the case on a BSD platform, although my Mac
> >> OS X doesn't (to my knowledge) do a file system check that often at
> >> all.
> >
> > You are thinking of the Linux ext2/ext3 filesystem.
>
> Although this is OT, does anybody have a clue why ext2/ext3 filesystems
> behave like that?
> I wouldn't like to trust a filesystem which thinks a fsck is worth it,
> although it always was a clean shutdown.
> Any clue?! :)

ext2/3 is mounted async by default, I reckon most linux distros expect some fs
damage to occur because of that over time maybe. Or it's a relic of the days
when that was necessary, maybe it's not really necessary now anymore. Perhaps
it also does some defrag while fsck'ing.

Generally I can say that with freebsd even if you pull the plug and then let
it reboot and do the automatical background fsck you'll likely loose only
that one file you might have been editing while (or just before) you
unplugged the box.

Dan