amd(8) aborting on file server running FBSD 6.3

Lee Damon nomad at ssli-mail.ee.washington.edu
Thu Mar 27 10:19:10 PDT 2008

host in question is:
FreeBSD goose.ee.washington.edu 6.3-STABLE FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE #6: Wed
Mar 26 17:03:35 PDT 2008
root at goose.ee.washington.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NIKOLA  i386

This box was recently updated to a release that was exactly the same
source base as two other boxes I've been using for a month.  Upon
upgrade amd(8) is now aborting shortly after launch (sometimes even
before I can log in on the console there are references to missing amd
process(es) in /var/log/messages).

I would really appreciate it if someone could take a look at the truss &
gdb output at
<http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/people/nomad/amd-crash1/truss.out>
(181MB!) and
<http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/people/nomad/amd-crash1/gdb.out> along
with <https://ssli.ee.washington.edu/people/nomad/amd-crash1/amd.log>
and see if they can give me a clue about what the problem is.  I also
have a core file and a copy of the binary available though I'd prefer
not to send that URL out to the world. :)

It looks like it might be related to nss_ldap.  I've removed and
reinstalled all of the ldap ports with no success.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  No one has home
directories right now because this is the main homedir server in the lab.

thanks,
nomad