Error while pxeboot setup FreeBSD 7.0

don Juan fmember at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 05:11:30 PDT 2008

I wander if pxeboot setup for FreeBSD 7.0 is different from pxeboot with 6.2?

I did sucessfully network pxeboot setup of Freebsd 6.2 using following
DHCP configuration, based mostly on this how to:
http://networking.ringofsaturn.com/Unix/pxeboot.php,

host host1
{
  hardware ethernet 00:0c:29:1f:5e:3c;
  fixed-address 192.168.0.114;
  next-server 192.168.81.131;
  filename "/FreeBSD/boot/pxeboot"; #
  option root-path "/usr/var/www/install/FreeBSD";  # NFS path which
will be used as temp root partition.
}

where:
/usr/var/www/install/FreeBSD  contains FreeBSD installation files,
Tftp root is set to / usr/var/www/install

With Freebsd 6.2 installation files, pxeboot executes and reads root
file system from network and loads kernel via NFS.  An OS kernel
executes and starts installation process which can be finished
manually. If mfsroot contains proper install.cfg, then installation
can be completely unattended.

But with FreeBSD 7.0 installation files process fails somewhere after
pxeboot is started.

On Client screen it can be seen:

/boot/kernel/kernel text=0x6fd45c ...

and after that, server reboots.