moused freezes Xorg - caused by compiler bug

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Thu Mar 20 00:16:08 PDT 2008

I have long been annoyed by the problem that Xorg is frozen if I use moused,
unless the mouse is in movement. Just imagine you type something and it only
shows up when you move your mouse. Or if you watch a video ... you basically
have to keep the mouse in movement all the time.

I am/have been using the following CPUTYPEs on different machines:
pentium4 - not affected
pentium-m - affected
core2/nocona - affected

I just had the idea this might be an optimization problem and I rebuild
src/usr.sbin/moused with CPUTYPE=athlon64 and it works.

I've put the following into my make.conf:

# moused bug workaround
.if ${.CURDIR:M*/usr.sbin/moused}
.if defined(CPUTYPE)
.if ${CPUTYPE} == core2