Upgrading to 7.0 - stupid requirements

Brad Pitney pitney.brad at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 19 13:25:31 PDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Kevin K <kkutzko at teksavvy.com> wrote:
> > That said: I do understand what you're saying, and yes, I can see why
>  > you would want that.  It does make sense, and it's reasonable.  It's
>  > just hard to achieve.  I don't think other mainstream OSes (e.g. Linux)
>  > offer this ability either, though.  Am I wrong?
>
>  Redhat's up2date/yum ? I'm not 100% certain though.

OpenBSD's pkg_add has an -i option that allows options, their binary
packages are build with various options, also they recommend using
their binary packages as opposed to building your own. Although with
FreeBSD having over 18000 ports, I don't see it as viable given
constraints.

some people are just ungrateful for what they already have, even if
they have options.

Marko, there is nothing stopping you from building binary packages on
another machine with the options YOU want, some ports might not
remember what it is was you specified, well there are work arounds,
just remember /etc/make.conf is just like a Makefile so you could do
something like this:

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/ports}
.if ${.CURDIR:M*/apache22}
WITH_APR_FROM_PORTS=
WITH_MPM=worker
WITH_PGSQL=
WITH_STATIC_SUPPORT=
WITH_SQLITE=
WITH_KQUEUE_SUPPORT=
WITH_THREADS=
.endif
.endif

by the way, it's a suggestion, nothing more. But Works For Me (TM). I
would love to see something like the way pkgsrc handles options in
ports:

PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS = ssl pam kerberos acl ads ldap lang-en-GB gssapi
kqueue sasl sqlite apr1 apache22
PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS += -debug -mysql -ruby-build-ri-db
PKG_OPTIONS.sudo = -kerberos

Best regards,
 Brad