Upgrading to 7.0 - stupid requirements

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Mar 18 13:54:59 PDT 2008

> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:22:52 +0100
> From: Kris Kennaway <kris at FreeBSD.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> Marko Lerota wrote:

> >> First, try to relax.
> >
> > Sorry, but I'm pissed off now, not relax any more.
> >
> >> portupgrade -faP requests to reinstall everything from precompiled
> >> packages.  It will only fall back to compiling them locally if the
> >> package is unavailable (e.g. for legal reasons).
> >
> > It passed two days from portupgrade -faP, and it didn't finished yet.
> > To be worse, I have to do it again because the PC had to be rebooted.
> > So in the next 2-3 days I can sit with my PC and wait with him to
> > finish the upgrade. It will be three days because of Openoffice!@#!@#!@#!.
>
> Are you connected via a modem or something?  2-3 days to download some
> packages cannot be right if you have a decent internet connection.
>
> > And I have to pray the god that I don't have the power loss.
> > Now apache and acroread doesn't work any more and I'm afraid that
> > I'll find some other stuff that don't work too.
> >
> > So can anyone tell me this is not stupid??? Reinstalling all
> > applications because of upgrade? This can be called new
> > installation. Not upgrade.
> >
> > Now I'm thinking that It would be much easier that I backup my files,
> > databases and other stuff and do fresh installation. But why????
> > So I can do the same thing when 8_0 comes out?
> >
> > This is the worst thing that I found about FreeBSD for now.
> > This have to be changed or fixed somehow, because the upgrade
> > is not possible if you have lots of ports installed, and
> > certainly can't be called upgrade!
> >

> I'm sorry you feel that way, but you haven't understood the explanations
> that you have been given already.

Or, is the system failing to retrieve the packages and failing over to
building the ports? This would take a long time!

I always tee the output of portupgrade to a file so, if it dies in the
middle, it's pretty easy to pick up where it left off and not re-build
everything twice.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)