HP ProLiant DL360 G5 success stories?

Ulf Zimmermann ulf at Alameda.net
Mon Mar 17 21:34:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:06:27PM +0100, Johan Str?m wrote:
> On Mar 17, 2008, at 11:46 AM, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:

> >>How about SSH mode? SSH and view textmode at boot (serial rdr in bios
> >>too?) and console @ serial in fbsd (bootloader and on). Does that
> >>work
> >>good or "not to well" either?
> >>Lets hope it works out good now at least, I ordered the box, without
> >>full license though, but I guess I can always get that later on if it
> >>turns out to work like crap.. But for once I'm purchasing quality
> >>brand hardware.. So it should work with me instead of against me... I
> >>hope :)
> >>
> >>Thank you all for all of your replies!
> >
> >iLO1 (used on DL360 g3, g4, g4p and DL380 g3, g4) had text console
> >via ssh and I have used it often because of cut+paste. Unfortunatly
> >as far I know iLO2 (used on g5) does not support ssh text console.
>
> Hm.. No not native text console, but the virtual serial port should
> work under SSH if I'm reading the manual correct:
>
> "
> Although additional configuration steps are required to use Remote
> Serial Console (as compared to using
> the remote console or IRC), the Remote Serial Console allows telnet or
> SSH users to interact with the
> server remotely and without requiring an iLO 2 Advanced license and is
> the only way a true text-based
> remote console is presented by iLO 2.
> "
>
> If I've understood correct, the "text console" mode from iLO 1 is
> removed all together in favor for graphical mode (the internal
> workings have been changed).

Yes, ssh and serial works, I am using that. I would have preferred
they kept the text console too. I often enough issues with the
graphical (ActiveX and Java) on iLO2, that I end up using remote
desktop or vnc into a local machine (local to the iLO) and run
a browser from there. ssh text console on iLO1 is working for me
from my crackberry ssh.

--
Regards, Ulf.