hifn(4) causing system lockup

Sascha Klauder sascha at trimind.de
Mon Mar 17 13:20:48 PDT 2008

Hi all,

 can someone comment on the state of the hifn(4) driver?

 I've recently upgraded my 6.2-STABLE workstation to RELENG_7,
and I'm now experiencing system lockups that seem to be caused
by the hifn(4) driver.

 I've got a Soekris vpn1401 card to help with GELI disk en-
cryption.  Reading from a GELI volume is causing the system to
freeze completely, which does not happen if software crypto is
used (i.e. hifn.ko not loaded).  I can't enter kernel debugger
(ctrl+alt+esc doesn't work anymore) and my (remote) kgdb-fu
isn't up to par anyway.

 PR kern/92716, which is quite old already, describes somewhat
similar symptoms.

 I had no such problems on the previous 6.2 install (dated from
July 2007), and have verified that 6.3 shows the lockup behaviour
as well.

dmesg output available here:
 http://evenstar.shopkeeper.de/~sascha/avalon.dmesg7

Cheers,