HP ProLiant DL360 G5 success stories?

Johan Ström johan at stromnet.se
Thu Mar 13 07:14:12 UTC 2008

On Mar 13, 2008, at 1:01 AM, Sean Winn wrote:

> For using HP blades and standard iLO (no licensed advance features),
> it works perfectly well, installing both FreeBSD 5 and 6 on the
> blades I've tried, using a remote install CD from the Java applet
> (there's one for remote devices like disks, and one for remote
> console); there's only text mode but that's plenty to install the OS
> and enable it to the point of using SSH to manage it from there on
> in. I'd hope the iLO hardware/software is relatively common to all
> the HP range :)
>
> text mode access continues at all times - the iLO interface is just
> a remote screen/keyboard onto it, even POST BIOS boot. The external
> devices are USB mass storage ones, but I didn't have problems
> booting off the CD and installing it for 6.2.

Well.. The blades seems to be an exception:

• iLO 2 Standard Blade Edition (unlicensed blade server):
o Remote Console and IRC

This is not listed under "iLO 2 Standard (unlicensed:)"... I guess
that means I'm out of luck unless I want to bang up another $400
(listing price).. Which I'd rather not :)

Anyone running those 360G5's using serial console on a normal licensed
iLO?