list spam

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Mon Mar 10 16:55:53 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008, Peter Wemm wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 8:53 PM, Mike Lempriere <mike at vintners.net> wrote:
>> I've had it with the list spam -- is the any possibility of moderating
>>  this list, or changing it to must-be-subscriber-to-post?
>
>I for one would like this too.
>
>On one hand, it is inconvenient for people with multiple email
>addresses, but there is an easy way around that.  What you do is
>subscribe twice, and go to the options page and turn off email for one
>of them.  That way you can (for example) email with your normal
>address and receive email from the list on unique addresses for
>sorting or whatever.

We host several Mailman mailing lists, and have very few problems with spam
getting through to the lists, nor are there huge numbers of messages
forwarded to the moderators for approval.

Our lists are generally not moderated (other than an announcement list
which isn't open for discussions), but only list members can post to the
lists.  Non-member postings are forwarded for approval, and the moderator
may add non-subscribed address to a list of acceptable posters.

We are using spamassassin with Mailman, and anything that exceeds the SA
score is forwarded to the moderator for approval.  This is the largest
source of moderator requests.

Bill

Make no laws whatever concerning speech and, speech will be free; so soon as
you make a declaration on paper that speech shall be free, you will have a
hundred lawyers proving that freedom does not mean abuse, nor liberty
license; and they will define and define freedom out of existence.
	- Voltarine de Cleyre (1866-1912)