BTX on USB pen drive

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 7 23:40:04 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:51:49PM +0100, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 2008-03-07 15:13, John Baldwin wrote:
> > Try this instead:
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/btx_real.patch
>
> Hi John,
>
> I've encounted way too many machines already with BIOSes that clash with
> the regular btx loader... :(

Have we considered sgetting rid of BTX and using a different bootloader
altogether on FreeBSD?  There's got to be some open-source, non-GPL
bootloaders which work better than our current.

The reason I mention this is because the number of problem reports with
BTX continue to rise, and debugging them is very painful since due to
the way the crash is reported, no one can easily report a full register
dump.  I suppose if the latter was addressed, the former could be solved
quicker.