FreeBSD 7.9-stable: weird messages in /var/log/messages?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Wed Mar 5 17:02:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 20:52:23 +0100
Kris Kennaway <kris at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> It is reporting large variations in the rate of your time clock (see
> kern_tc.c).

Aha, I see. Thanks for explaining that.

> Also, you appear to be emailing from the distant future.  Please
> reply with stock tips :)

distant future, even? :-)
The two things share a common symptom; the nic on that particular
machine is a ral(4) one, and I am having connectivity problems
(connections from other machines to this particular machine drops).
That's why I booted the machine with verbose messages, and got those
messages in the first place.
It looks like network connectivity going away without the network
interface going down / up has confused ntpd, I had to restart it just
now.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen