What's new on the 127.0.0/24 block in 7?

Chris H. chris# at 1command.com
Tue Mar 4 11:22:09 UTC 2008

Quoting Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at freebsd.org>:

> On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 02:23:21AM -0800, Chris H. wrote:
>> What I am having absolutely no understanding of; is why do
>> 2 FBSD servers sharing the same setups, and the same stock
>> lo0 setups react /completely/ differently than each other,
>> when the only difference is the version of FBSD, and the
>> version of the BIND?
>> RELENG_6 server has nothing more than the 7-RC3 regarding
>> lo0 (/etc/defaults/rc.conf: ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1").
>> when I start rbldnsd on the RELENG_6's primary IP port:530
>> with a zone file using 127.0.0.2 && a zone file using
>> 127.0.0.3. Everything works like a charm.
>> Yet same setup, same config, different FBSD version;
>> nothing works as it did before.
>
> This is bordering on "not enough information", sadly.  People are going
> to need to see the details you're holding back.

No. It's not a matter of "holding back". I really don't want to spam
the stable list with ports litter. My main concern/question was in
figuring out why 2 identical server configs would react so differently
in the way they handle lo0 and friends - rbldnsd, or no rbldnsd.

> Start with providing the output from "ifconfig lo0" on both the RELENG_6
> box and the RELENG_7 box.

I've already committed an /etc/rc.conf:
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1	netmask 255.255.255.0" which is now active
on the 7-RC3 server.
So until later I can only provide the RELENG_6 output:
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000        inet6 ::1 prefixlen
128        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3

I'll uncommit/unactivate the 7-RC3 entry as soon as I can and
provide it's output, as well.

> Secondly, as Mark (Andrews) pointed out, whatever data you have in your
> rbldnsd **zone files** has nothing to do with the IP or IPs bound to
> lo0.
>
> What's really needed at this point is for you to describe in detail your
> rdnsbld configuration on both machines, and what it is you want to
> accomplish.  As it stands right now, my understanding is that you are:
>
> * Running a single instance of rbldnsd on both machines,
> * Binding rbldnsd on each machine to publicip:530
> * Utilising zone data which contains IPs 127.0.0.2 and 127.0.0.3

Actually, I'm only running rbldnsd on one machine at a time. With
the final goal of running it permanently on the 7-RC3 (current work
in progress).

> And that the setup works OK for you on RELENG_6, but not RELENG_7.

Correct.

> I really don't want to have to install rbldnsd on both of our production
> RELENG_6 and RELENG_7 boxes to tinker with this and figure out what's
> going on, but if I have to, I will.

No. Please don't bother yourself with this. This wasn't meant to be
the topic of this thread - it's just the situation that brought me
to my question(s) regarding the behavior of lo0 and friends.
Thank you for considering it though. :)

> I can assure you that both of our
> said boxes are identical when it comes to the behaviour of loopback;
> nothing there has changed.

Fair enough. My RELENG_6 boxen must be demon possessed, or something -
D'OH! Pardon the pun. :P

> I didn't mean to imply you're stupid or incompetent -- that is in no way
> what I was getting at.  But there does seem to be some disconnection
> going on: it's important that you understand A records or PTR records in
> zone files (which is what those 127.0.0.[23] addresses are) do not have
> direct relation to IP addresses bound to interfaces nor netmasks.

No. Just the ability to create/connect/communicate over them (the IP's).
Which it seems the RELENG_6 server is happy to provide - inspite of
how unorthodox it is.

Thank you very much for all the time you've taken.

--Chris H

> --
> | Jeremy Chadwick                                    jdc at parodius.com |
> | Parodius Networking                           http://www.parodius.com/ |
> | UNIX Systems Administrator                      Mountain View, CA, USA |
> | Making life hard for others since 1977.                  PGP: 4BD6C0CB |

panic: kernel trap (ignored)