What's new on the 127.0.0/24 block in 7?

Royce Williams royce at alaska.net
Tue Mar 4 03:37:41 UTC 2008

Jeremy Chadwick wrote, on 3/3/2008 5:21 PM:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 05:43:35PM -0800, Chris H. wrote:
> I've looked at this software: http://www.corpit.ru/mjt/rbldnsd.html
>
> Why exactly do you need this software to bind to 127.0.0.2 or 127.0.0.3?
> I don't see any indication of it needing that.  DNS-based RBLs don't
> work like that, so I'm confused by this request.

It's not uncommon to configure BIND to forward requests for a DNSBL
zone to another local listener, so that one can take advantage of both
BIND local zones and rbldnsd local zones.

See http://www.njabl.org/rsync.html for an example -- the BIND config
of which looks like:

zone "dnsbl.njabl.org" IN {
        type forward;
        forward first;
        forwarders {
                127.0.0.1 port 530;
        };
};

Royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                - IP Engineering, ACS
http://www.tycho.org/royce/                   - PGP: 3FC087DB/1776A531