firewire related hang.

Stefan `Sec` Zehl sec+freebsdstable at 42.org
Sun Mar 2 14:44:59 UTC 2008

I just installed FreeBSD-7 on an amd64 box. The new motherboard has
firewire builtin.

I wanted to disable dma via firewire, but as soon as I add

hw.firewire.phydma_enable=0

to /boot/loader.conf (which is what the man page suggests)

The box hangs on boot.

It detects the firewire controller, after that the sata disk and then
hangs.

Is this a known problem? Is there anything I can do to help debug this?

Lastly, if this is not easily fixable, would removing the firewire
driver from my kernel disable the DMA attack?

CU,
    Sec
--
Whatever the virtues of balance, it's just a pleasant form of insanity.