portupgrade, recommended by 7 release notes, breaks perl

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 20:16:43 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kris Kennaway" <kris at FreeBSD.org>

> I think something is not quite right in your analysis, because perl does
> not depend on any external perl modules (it cannot, by definition).

I know what your saying there Kris, this shouldn't happen. So I've
spent some time digging through the info I had here from the
upgrade, luckily I saved a list of installed ports before starting.

The issue appears to down to the fact ExtUtils::MakeMaker when
installed via CPAN installs to:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8

So obviously when portupgrade finds it and attempts to upgrade it,
it first deletes it which trashes the base perl install as it
now has no MakeMaker to fall back to.

Usually I would expect CPAN modules to install to:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/

Which would ensure that there are still base files left to fall
back on when upgrading.

Of note here is that port p5-ExtUtils-MakeMaker correctly installs
under site_perl its only the CPAN module which has this problem.

Now I don't know if there are any other modules which suffer
from this or if its just a "feature of MakeMaker".

The underlying cause of this is in the MakeMaker Makefile.PL
Makefile.PL:    INSTALLDIRS     => 'perl',
changing this to:
Makefile.PL:    INSTALLDIRS     => 'site',

Would fix this particular package but again: how many others
do this? Maybe this is something that BSDPAN could / should
override?

    Regards
    Steve