FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE Available

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 11:30:44 UTC 2008

Chris H. wrote:

> * log on as root - or su to root after logging on as regular user
> * type /usr/sbin/sysinstall - this brings up the installer again
> * choose post install
> * choose install additional ports/packages
> * choose net/cvsup-without-gui
> * when finished, exit the installer

A very nice worklist, except for the section above.

I have two objections to it.  The first is aesthetic, since you could
simply replace all those steps by typing:

  # pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui

at the root shell prompt.

The second is a functional objection: it's a waste of time to install
cvsup-without-gui when csup(1) is in the base system (and has been
since 6.1-RELEASE or there abouts.)

A typical command to download the contents of /usr/src changes from:

   # cvsup -g -L 2 -h cvsup.XX.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile

   # csup -L 2 -h cvsup.XX.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile

(where XX is the two letter ISO code for the country where you live
(or 'uk'))

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3