FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE Available

Chris H. chris# at 1command.com
Sat Mar 1 09:18:00 UTC 2008

Quoting Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk>:

> gregoryd.freebsd at free.fr wrote:
>
>>> On behalf of the FreeBSD Project thanks for your interest in FreeBSD.
>>> We hope you enjoy the new release.
>>
>> I've just spent the whole morning installing it on my office desktop.
>>
>> It was an awful experience: installing packages from the three CDs
>> kept making
>> me switch from one CD to the other then to the previous one before
>> the next one
>> again...
>> All in all about twenty-times !!! (sometimes just for ONE package,
>> for Christ's
>> sake !)
>> It was particularly annoying, especially with those Linux guys
>> around sneering
>> when comparing it to their smooth install.

Greetings.

BSD is /different/. Which is /not/ bad, just /different/. :)

I ventured a "cheat sheet" for a build/install world/kernel for
someone on this list. I'll venture an Install "cheat sheet" here. :)

OK. First things first:
download your choice of either <version>-RELEASE-<arc>-disc1.iso,
or <version>-RELEASE-<arc>-bootonly.iso. I prefer disc1, and will
assume so for the rest of this post

* burn downloaded CD (it's possible to mount/install it in iso
   form, but I'll not go into that here).
* boot to burned cd
* choose minimal - smallest available option (can't recall the
   exact verbage)
* choose and make any required settings that insure working
   internet connection upon reboot.
* reboot
* log on as root - or su to root after logging on as regular user
* type /usr/sbin/sysinstall - this brings up the installer again
* choose post install
* choose install additional ports/packages
* choose net/cvsup-without-gui
* when finished, exit the installer
* now at the shell again, OK. There's probably a little contention
here; some might argue
that you should choose to install /usr/src while in sysinstall.
But I hate doing things twice, and since I always have a recent
copy of /usr/src/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile, and
/usr/src/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile around, and simply copy
them to my /root/ folder. That said, if you /don't/ already have
a copy of both, use sysinstall to grab/install src.
in either case:
* at your shell, with a recent copy of
   /usr/src/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile and
   /usr/src/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
   edit both of them adding your chosen freebsd location
* When finished, run the following:
   cvsup -g -L 2 /root/stable-supfile
   This assumes stable-supfile is located in your /root/
   folder - adjust to it's location.
* When finished, type rehash. Then run the following:
   cvsup -g -L 2 /root/ports-supfile
NOTE: had this /not/ been a fresh install, I would have suggested
      running:
cvsup -g -L 2 /root/ports-supfile && portsdb -uU && pkgdb -F
more on this later.
* when cvsup finishes, type rehash.
* cd to /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portaudit
* type make && make install && make clean
* when it completes, type rehash
* now type portaudit -Fda. This will inform you of security
   issues related to your version(s) of ports
* now cd to /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade
These contain the ports I mentioned in the NOTE above.
* type make && make install && make clean
* type rehash
* Now, next time you update your ports, you'll be able to
   generate, and keep your ports INDEX in sync
* OK now you're in good shape, you'll probably want to
   cd /usr/src/sys/<arc>/conf and cp ./GENERIC to your choice
   of kernel name. Edit it to your satisfaction. Then do
   a buildworld/kernel installkernel/world session

In any event you're now in a position to build/install
anything the BSD ports system has to offer. While this /may/
seem like a long process, it's not. It's very quick. In fact
it /is/ faster than the Linux GUI install process - I just
performed one the other day. Then blew it away and replaced
it with a fresh copy of RELENG_7. :)

Happy BSD'ing

--Chris H

> People in the know, and those with reasonable network bandwidth, generally
> use either the 'boot only' or just the 'disk 1' CDs to install a pretty
> minimal system, and then install packages, run cvsup, use freebsd updates
> etc. from the net.  It's a  whole lot smoother than juggling CDs.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew
>
> --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                   7 Priory Courtyard
>                                                  Flat 3
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey     Ramsgate
>                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW

panic: kernel trap (ignored)